· Get as much rest as you can
· Recognize that reoccurring thoughts, dreams or flashbacks are normal dont try to fight them they will decrease over time and become less painful.
· Eat well-balanced meals even if you dont feel like it.
· Exercise (even a 5 minute walk around the block on a sunny day will help)
· Cry It removes stress chemicals from your body.
· Drink lots of water studies show that dehydration effects mental acuity and memory.
· Hug your family & friends; its good for you and them. Studies indicate that lack of touch can lead to failure to thrive.
· Be conscious of your language and replace negative comments with more neutral ones.
· Take time away from things that will remind you of the event
· Do make as many decisions as possible, as this will begin to give you a feeling of control over your life; e.g. if someone asks you what time you want to eat pick a time even if you are not sure.
· Set realistic expectations for yourself; be gentle with yourself and dont expect to function perfectly.
· Enhance your sense of control and accomplishment by giving yourselves credit for accomplishing tasks, no matter how small they are.
· Prepare for firsts, holidays, and anniversaries of the event.
· When possible, laugh. It creates endorphins that help the body heal.